This quick and easy chilli cheese toast snack is fantastic any time, but is a proper treat after a boozy night out! It’s very versatile: you can use whatever leftovers you have and as usual with my recipes you can add as much chilli as you like.
This recipe one of many in my award-winning books, Curry Compendium and Indian Restaurant Curry at Home Volume 2.
- 2 Slices of White or Brown Bread, thin or medium sliced
- 100-120g Grated Cheese. Mature Cheddar Cheese and Mozzarella are a good combination of flavour and texture
- 2 TBSP Red Pepper, finely cubed
- 2 Garlic Cloves, very finely chopped
- 2-3 fresh Green or Red Chillies, very finely chopped. Remove the embrane and seeds inside the chillies for less heat
- ¼ tsp Black Pepper, freshly ground
- ¼ tsp Chaat Masala
- ½ tsp Paprika
- A few splashes of Worcestershire Sauce
- Mix all the ingredients except for the bread together in a bowl.
- Toast one side of the bread slices under a hot grill or in a dry non-stick frying pan.
- Spread the mixture generously onto the untoasted side of the bread slices. Make sure to cover the entire area of the bread including the sides and corners.
- Place on a rack under a 180°C pre-heated grill and leave for 2-3 minutes or until the topping is deep golden brown and all the cheese has melted.
- Eat. Simple!
- Chaat masala is a powdered blend of spices that is used in Indian food (most often street food, snacks or fruit) before eating to further season it. Chaat masala has a fabulous zingy flavour, which comes mainly from the amchoor (dried unripe mango) powder, salt, and often ‘black’ salt (kala namak), the latter giving a sulphurous taste.
- All spoon measurements are level. 1 tsp=5ml. 1 TBSP=15ml