This quick and easy chilli cheese toast snack is fantastic any time, but is a proper treat after a boozy night out! It’s very versatile: you can use whatever leftovers you have and as usual with my recipes you can add as much chilli as you like.
This recipe one of many in my first award-winning book, Indian Restaurant Curry at Home Volume 2.
- 2 Slices of White or Brown Bread, thin or medium sliced
- 100-120g Grated Cheese. Mature Cheddar Cheese and Mozzarella are a good combination of flavour and texture
- 2 TBSP Red Pepper, finely cubed
- 2 Garlic Cloves, very finely chopped
- 2-3 fresh Green or Red Chillies, very finely chopped. Remove the embrane and seeds inside the chillies for less heat
- ¼ tsp Black Pepper, freshly ground
- ¼ tsp Chaat Masala
- ½ tsp Paprika
- A few splashes of Worcestershire Sauce
- Mix all the ingredients except for the bread together in a bowl.
- Toast one side of the bread slices under a hot grill or in a dry non-stick frying pan.
- Spread the mixture generously onto the untoasted side of the bread slices. Make sure to cover the entire area of the bread including the sides and corners.
- Place on a rack under a 180°C pre-heated grill and leave for 2-3 minutes or until the topping is deep golden brown and all the cheese has melted.
- Eat. Simple!
- Chaat masala is a powdered blend of spices that is used in Indian food (most often street food, snacks or fruit) before eating to further season it. Chaat masala has a fabulous zingy flavour, which comes mainly from the amchoor (dried unripe mango) powder, salt, and often ‘black’ salt (kala namak), the latter giving a sulphurous taste.
- All spoon measurements are level. 1 tsp=5ml. 1 TBSP=15ml